Sunday, January 13, 2013

Second Chance Summer Book Review

Second Chance Summer

Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
My Rating: 
Theme Song:
The Climb by Miley Cyrus (cover by Megan and Liz)

Summary:

17-years-old Taylor's father finds out that he is ill and that he has only a few months left to live. This is why her parents decide to spend their last summer together in their old summer house. They haven't been there for 5 years, and Taylor is not happy at all about coming back. During these years, Taylor was trying to forget her old summer best friend and boyfriend. They used to spend great summers together, but she has made a mistake, a mistake that the two of them still don't forgive.

In this summer Taylor gets to learn a lot about herself and her family. She learns how to face difficulties instead of running away. Taylor learns that with the help of her family and friends, she is strong enough to deal with anything.


Review:
I love this book so much.
Because of the cover and the synopsis, I thought that this book is going to be just another easy summer read - sunny days, warm beaches and a sweet love story. Nothing more than that. I had no idea how deep, sad and tragic this book is.
This is why I warn you now - this book is a complete tearjerker. Everything about it, from the very first chapter, is heart-smashing. I was on the verge of tears during most of the book, and it's really hard no to be. Taylor is facing everyone's biggest fears - her father is on the verge of death, and she can't do anything to help.  My heart hurts every time I think of what Taylor and her family have been through.

Taylor is a great main character. She was very realistic and very easy to identify with - her thoughts and feelings were a lot like mine, and like every other teenager's.
She was very sensitive, and changed a lot during the book. She was very strong, and with the help of friends and family surrounding her, she has managed to deal with some really horrible situations.

The romance in this book was beautiful  The chemistry between Taylor and Henry was perfect. He understood her in a way nobody else could and helped her getting through maybe the hardest time of her life.   I love reading about beautiful couples and dreaming that when I grow up, I will have this kind of relationship with someone...

I chose "The Climb" as the book's theme song because Taylor is facing troubles, but doesn't let them knock her down. She is climbing, trying to make it to a better place. She is optimistic and has hope.

Bottom line: A beautiful, heart-smashing story about the importance of family and friends, and how they help you overcome tragedies with support and love.

Recommended if you loved: The Last Song, Fixing Delilah and books by Sarah Dessen.

Sapir

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! :)
    I'm a new follower (GFC must've been in a bad mood since it didn't say you followed o-o).

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry... I kinda forgot clicking on the follow button. Fixed it now XD
      Thanks for the follow! (:

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds like something I'd love! thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks, but it looks like a lovely book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. This book resembles "The Last Song" very much. Thanks for the comment Daniel ^_^

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading this book and connected with it straight away. It was very close to my heart so I knoew it was going to be an emotional read. Of course when the inevitable conclusion happened I was left with a stack of tissues! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an emotional read!! It was so sad to know what is going to happen to her father right on the beginning...
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Taylor sounds great. I have this and need to read sooner based on your lovely review.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour and I really want to read this one! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete